Sunday, June 7, 2015

Liesl Hansen | Composition Assignment - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I decided to do a minimalist movie poster of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It was really hard brainstorming for this one. The other minimalist posters I saw had elements that contributed to the main theme of the movie, but with this one it was a little vague. I chose to do the brain and the heart, since the plot of the movie is a couple that had broken up had erased each other from their memories. I also chose to have a bit of an old cassette tape - in this instance, just a wheel of one of the tapes that was featured in the movie - and have the heart revolve around that.

I used Adobe Illustrator. I used a grid and put the typography on several of the different lines. I tried to use the golden ratio in my design, what with the placement of the typography as well as the placement of the brain and the heart. I utilized the negative space on the bottom to make the heart (and the tape string attached to it) look more tangled and messy. I used the shapes tool to make the tape from the cassette, and used the brush tool to create the brain as well as the tape for the heart. My accent color was based off of the main female character Clementine and her blue hair. Overall I tried to unite everything but still create a feeling of disconnect with the separation of the strings from the brain and the heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment