Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Steve Clarke - Assignment 2 - "Light always overcomes darkness."

From the beginning, I knew that I really wanted to use this photo for the typography assignment. This "Cristo" statue is found atop a hill in one of the areas that I served in as missionary, and it truly inspired me as I saw it almost daily. When I would climb to the top of the hill and look down at the town, it was especially awe-inspiring. That being said, my goal was to create that same kind of inspiration for the viewer. After days of mulling over how to incorporate text into the picture, I ultimately decided to use a quote from the movie "The Saratov Approach" that I'm particularly fond of (and just happens to also involve missionary work).I thought that using the Cristo statue as the letter "T" for part of the word "light" would send a subtle message to the viewer about our source of true light - the Light of God and/or Light of Christ. This is really the "call to action" I tried to present - that the viewer look to Christ as their light. I really enjoyed this assignment.

To emphasize the idea of light literally overpowering darkness, I gradually decreased the size of fonts as the text continued down the image, with the word "darkness" being both the smallest and lowest on the page. This gave the word the insignificance I was looking for, and I made the word "light" the largest and most vibrant to show how it truly did overpower the darkness. For a coordinating color scheme, I used the color eyedropper tool to use colors already in the image as the colors for my texts "always," "overcomes," and "darkness." I tried picking texts for each word to help characterize the feeling and emotion behind the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment