Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Katie Arnell - Assignment 1 - Color Me Aqua


I chose to capture, edit, and present this picture because I thought the image has a bright and interesting effect with color, as well as illustrates an interesting coincidence. I was sitting on my bed thinking about how art can be noticed in any place if you choose to see it. As I thought about it, I noticed that my blankets and pillows, toenails, and pajama pants were all the same color. While I knew that aqua was my favorite color, I had not really noticed that I had started to build life around me, all in that color. I had begun to create an identity of myself through color. And in doing so, I created art in the most simple aspects of my life.

I really wanted the aqua to pop, so I used Photoshop and Lightroom to brighten the image, balance the colors so that the aqua/cyan stood out, cropped the image so that the feet were placed on a third, and increased the saturation and vibrance to give the color even more power. The color was meant to be the central focus of the image, so the effects I used were meant to bring out the blue so it caught and held your eye. I also sharpened the image so that the shadows and highlights stood out more as well. Finally, while I wanted the fabrics to be sharp, I didn't want to make the skin look too sharp and pixelated, so I lightly used a softening effect on the feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment