Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Assignment 4 -- Creela Belle Howard






































After seeing the free screening of the documentary The Abolitionists, I decided for this assignment to do a poster for the BYU Anti-Human Trafficking Club.
I wanted the main colors to be red and blue; red for outrage at the disgusting people who participate in selling minors for sex, and blue for sorrow and sympathy for the victims. The red is slightly orange to make the colors more complementary since orange is opposite of blue in color wheel.
The style is minimalism, as you can tell, because I didn't want the visuals to distract from the message, which is to fight against this horrific, criminal industry that exists in our world.
I would have preferred to use a photo of a young girl, but instead i took a photo from online and traced it with brush tool. I wanted the outline of the girl to be very minimalist to emphasize how these girls are being de-humanized, to just be objects rather than human beings. I used repetition for the "bars," indicating these girls are prisoners. I aligned the capital letters so it would easy to focus on these three words in large font. I used proximity for the small words and the large words to group them together. In placing the text, I used rule of thirds a little bit.


Commented on:
Lisa Crofts
Ally Hawkins
Justine Alworth
Natalie Daelemans
Samuel Clayton



4 comments:

  1. Powerful matching of image and message. The concept is simple but very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you used the color blue for the girl because blue symbolizes hope as well. I would try to be a little more consistent with the font because it varies a lot between the word princess and then profit.. but maybe it was on purpose ?.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that you don't want the image to distract from the message, but I don't think the cartoon is as powerful as a photograph would be. With a cause like this, you really need to be able to put a human face to the cause. I think it would make it way more emotional, and really enhance the message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great message, wonderful layout from Indesign.. way to implement what we learned in class Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete