Thursday, February 19, 2015

Assignment 2 : Nathan Innis



I attended a Sundance film festival documentary a few weeks ago called "Most Likely To Succeed."  It detailed flaws in public education, and presented possible alternatives to our current system. As someone looking back on his public educational experience, I really related to the issues being discussed. At the core of the issue is standardized testing; it isn't a fair measure of how a teacher is performing, and multiple studies show students will not retain much of the material after the test is over. Also, there is never going to be a case in the "real world" where you are confined to a desk with a pencil and calculator, not allowed to talk to anyone, and not allowed to look things up. This movie opened my mind to what really is important in an educational experience, and what I want my future children to learn. The website on this poster provides information as well as community-organizing tools for concerned citizens to initiate change where they live.

I chose to use IM Fell English Small Caps for the title line to give it an old-fashion feeling, suggesting that our public education system is terribly outdated. For the rest I used Volkorn, a newer European font I discovered that I felt fit progressive and enlightened ideals. In lieu of taking a picture, I created a blackboard backdrop, drawing attention to the short story / call to action that is presented.

Commented on

Kyle Lewis
Kaushay Colvin
Anna Umstead
Ashley Frehner

"ART IS EVERYWH"

1 comment: