Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Assignment 4-Sydney Walton


For this assignment I made a Christmas card for my roommate and me. I made sure the picture followed the rule of thirds (because I knew this would make it much more interesting).  I played with the design of the card but decided to use very minimal words because I remembered Image Bias Theory, which says we remember images better than words. The background of the picture is blurred because I wanted the emphasis to be on us. I matched "Merry Kissmas" to the color of my sweater to create a common color scheme. For the words I used a variation of the complementary colors red and green to keep things simple and clean. I applied what we learned about kerning to the letters to make them standout and easy to read. I centered the wording to make the card more balanced. I am really happy with the overall composition of the picture--I think the combination of the image and the words is straightforward but also pleasing to the eye! 

COMMENTS: Clarissa Oliphant, Jordan Wheeler, McCall Mishler, Todd Bean and Doug Heath. 

7 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love how simple it is and I love the colors. I also like how the typography is not distracting and the photo is still the main focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photo is fantastic! I love the color coordination between your sweater and the text. That was a great idea to grab a color from your image and incorporate it into your text. The rule of thirds is spot-on and the overall composition is incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute and christmas-y. perfect for a simply christmas greeting. There is definitely a fun story that is told through the image as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that the people are off center. It really makes the photo seem interesting and personable. Also the contrast of the red sweater and the lighter shirt make the photo really well defined. Great design; it looks professional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rule of thirds works well in this and is very creative. I really liked it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This picture is super adorable! I love the colors and I think you did well at capturing emotions. I also really like the simplicity of the font.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an adorable Christmas card! Great picture selection, the bottom part really goes with the pictures, you picked the perfect colors and font. The only thing I would change would be to switch the order of the names so they reflect the picture. So cute!

    ReplyDelete