Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Assignment #2: Miranda Facer

"Name Unknown" by Miranda Facer
I took this melancholy photograph on a beach in California last summer. I didn't make any edits to the original photo other than adding text. 

The text is justified to the center towards the top where the eye is naturally drawn. This is the focal point because of balance (half sand, half sky) and perspective (the ridges in the sand create upward  sight lines drawing you to the center). I used Gill Sans MT because I liked the clean, stark lines and thought they matched the simplicity of the message. A sarif would've felt too forced here. I chose to bold "ache" to add emphasis on the emotional nature of the photo. 

My call to action for the viewer is implied; I hope when you see this photograph you put yourself in the narrative and think of who or what your soul aches for.

I commented on Mallory Jesperson, Brett Bertola, Sterling Randle, Jenna Randle and Hannah Childs

10 comments:

  1. I really like the use of words on this. The way you made "ache" pop adds an element to the shot and whether you intended to or not, I like that the color of the copy carries your eye to the man standing alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heavens, Miss Facer, you got me. I love this. The small lettering makes you feel a little alone, and very small. And the image does just the same. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love this. I agree with Jenna- the small lettering really does create a sense of loneliness, and by bolding the word "ache", you can feel the loneliness penetrate more deeply. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This picture sends a powerful message. The lighting of the picture goes perfect with the message. Also, the person standing on the right side of the picture seems to be aching about something as he looks at the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the nostalgic feeling of the picture

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's awesome!! If anything I would photoshop out the two people in the back so that there is just the one Person standing showing his ache by making him alone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was my favorite one out of all of them because I could feel what emotions the image was conveying. The typography couldn't have been positioned or done any better than it was in my opinion. The colors and the fog of the photo really added to the whole effect. Really nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the subtle bolding of the word ache in this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I commented on Mallory Jesperson, Brett Bertola, Sterling Randle, Jenna Randle and Hannah Childs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how simple the wording is, combined with the simplicity of the picture. They balance each other out very well.

    ReplyDelete