Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Assignment #1 Alex Skinner - "The House Among the Pines"





I went home this weekend for a wedding. I am from Northern California, which is current resident to the King wildfire. One of my friends took me to his parents house where an ominous cloud of smoke moved toward his home. I took the picture in the one area where there was a hole among the trees to get a shot of the smoke. Unfortunately the sun was shining on many areas and provided distracting lighting (like the light that showed the three cars parked at the house. While editing I had to eliminate the lighted areas that distracted the eye from the central focus of the picture: the house that leads to the trees that point upward to the smoke. I love the trees as the only line of defense between the fire and the home. I brightened the image in the center of the house and around the edges of the smoke to make the blue sky a more perfect outline of the smoke. The rest is basically a tree sandwich with the grey house and smoke as the bread. This picture is so frightening and real.  Close up the scene is peaceful and beautiful, but simply look to the sky and the immanence of destruction is real. The house among the pines is safe for now, protected by the trees and nameless heroes fighting the blaze.

9 comments:

  1. I like the editing you did with this picture. My eyes went directly to the house with the clouds dangerously lurking over it. Powerful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a really good editing the photo. The smoke and the house look really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The billowing smoke looks so majestic and makes the size of a house look minimal in comparison. I love the power of nature over man in this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how at first you feel at peace because of the light coloring and the stillness of the house and then all of the sudden you realize what is happening and how vulnerable this house really is. Great photo and good job editing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picture. I love how you framed the house and smoke with the pine trees. I was caught off guard and intrigued when I was this picture and I find myself doubting the reality of it just because it is so intense and spooky. My hometown in central Utah was evacuated because of a forest fire as well, so you image is almost personal to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorites, seriously very awesome

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how the photo seems to just draw you up into the smoke at the angle it looks so daunting compared to the cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your eyes are first drawn towards the menacing clouds, but then you look down and see this innocent house. It's very dramatic and the lighting does a good job of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This an awesome picture that pulls some feelings out when our cabin almost got burned in forest fires. Great job.

    ReplyDelete