Monday, June 1, 2015

Color Theory Assignment: Makenzie Wistisen: #berad


Photo by: Alice Jane Canon feat. Makenzie Wistisen

This rad photo taken last year by my dear friend Alice Jane, was shot with a Canon portrait lens in downtown Provo. Featuring Kryptonics Skateboards and fashion by American Eagle Outfitters, this photo remains one of my all time favorite portrayals of my various personalities. Finding a balance between feminine, girly and sporty and cool strikes a real cord with me and I feel this photo perfectly displays that dichotomy. Between long, blonde hair, floral shorts, heart shaped shades and fuchsia pink wheels, the girly element is achieved while balanced by a black snap-back featuring Niche Snowboarding Company, a jean vested jacket and Converse sneakers. Traditionally speaking, longboarding and skateboarding are boys sports. The fact that I'm sitting, relaxed, contemplating with a distant gaze, on a shortboard, elicits that sporty, cool borderline punk vibe that is so crucial to my personality and active lifestyle. 
The twilight lighting is exquisite, even and the graffitied background perfectly compliments both the colors of the board as well as my hair and skin tones. Note the matching fuchsia tints found in the board wheels with the wall graffiti. The cyan within the artwork is also present in the board and adds an engaging contrast between the gold and silver. I'm drawn to the varying colors of this photo enhanced by an overarching sense of white; a clean, calm, pure color. I feel the sense of white space emphasizes the subject of the photo as well. As we've been discussing color in all of its complexities, several complementary colors can be found in this photo; purple, pink and blue form a triad on the color wheel to compliment the gold hues while the silver tone, a neutral, compliments each color individually to create a harmonious relationship. While there could be more diversification between complimentary colors, overall I feel the color scheme here works nicely. Thanks for viewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment