Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Rosie Jarman | Assignment 2 - Femme


For my typography assignment I was inspired by the phrase "feministe mais feminine" which is french for "feminist but feminine." I decided to place this phrase over a self portrait by the 18th-century french artist Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun because she was one of the few women painting at the time and became very well known for her famous portraits of Marie Antoinette. While she was a progressive anomaly in her profession because of her gender, her works still exude femininity, thus I felt the phrase combined with an image of hers would deliver a powerful message. I cropped the portrait because the tighter focus gave a bigger impact while still including the most important features - her feminine lips and clothing and the tools of her artistic profession.

As I was working with the image I ran into contrast issues because of her very light neckline surrounded by darkened clothing and background. I edited the image to have a flattened grey tone because it made it feel a bit more modern while simultaneously allowing the overlaying text to stand out. I also felt the entire phrase "feministe mais feminine" looked too crowded and busy over the image, and in order to get the whole phrase to fit the text had to be quite small thus losing impact. I ultimately settled on using just the word "feministe" and was happy with how logo-like it looked. In fact, in the end I thought the design worked particularly well because it's impactful on its own but could also be adapted into many other design projects like a book cover or product packaging. Don't you think Feministe would make for a great bath and body line!?

No comments:

Post a Comment