Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Haley Hilton - Assignment 1 - A Constant Reminder


A year ago this month I was diagnosed with lyme disease. It took me over a year and a half before that to get a proper diagnosis at all. Up until that point in my life I was a professional dancer with hopes for a future filled with all of my dreams coming true. Getting hit hard with a chronic illness isn't something many eighteen year olds prepare for. Suddenly health, or rather a lack there of, was sitting at the forefront of my once carefree mind. My current treatment regiment involves eight hour days sitting inside of a doctors office twice a week being pumped full of different antibiotics. The pic-line highlighted in this image is the vehicle in which my curing begins, and hopefully someday ends.

When I began this project I knew I wanted to depict an aspect of my experience through an image. To me, having the pic-line so commanding in this particular photograph, is representational of my health challenges being on the forefront of my mind at all times. We used the rule of thirds in order to make the medical instrument a natural place for the viewers eyes to find. We also darkened the exposure in the background in order to focus the eye to the foreground where the pic cline is. While my face is tucked further in the darkness than anything else the slight smile on my lips shows the need to find hope in the middle of challenges and difficulties. Finally the placement of my hand is meant to show both the struggle and the fight of every human as they struggle, and yet strive to fight again.

No comments:

Post a Comment