Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Picture Assignment #2: Life's Short. STUNT IT. - Ashley Frehner


First off, Rod Kimble from the movie Hot Rod is a LEGEND. "Life's short. Stunt it," is pretty much my mantra and if you hit up my Instagram, you will find it is also my bio. Basically, I like to live life to the fullest. So when my family went cliff jumping this past summer at Lake Mead and my cousin's friend not only joined in, but volunteered to jump first, I had to capture the moment. This was just seconds before his jump turned into a sort of gainer and earned him lifetime respect in my book. 

After deciding that I was going to use this quote, I immediately knew that this was the picture that I wanted to use. I feel like the calm waters below and clear skies above give it that YOLO, get crazy, summer feel. The size of the thirty foot cliff in comparison to his body and the protruding rocks below help show the caliber of the jump and nerve it took for him to take the plunge. The font I selected is called Allerta Stencil and the letters are simple, squared off and unfinished. The stenciling gives it a rough, thrown together feel like the quote itself. Overall, I think the typography, message and image encourage the viewer to take a risk.

Commented on:
Play Ball – Steven Potter
Rock Out With Your Socks Out –  Kathleen Davidson
Take A Chance – Taylor Neuffer
Turn Off The Tap – Alex Trump
Get High – Sean Dunshee



7 comments:

  1. I think your font choice/ picture/ message is great and a really funny call to action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your word choice using the word 'stunt' to compliment 'short'. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one made me smile. I like the angle you create using a font I would consider hard-core for a message about living life to the fullest. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for bringing Rod Kimble into my Thursday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome photo. Glad the photographer snapped it in time :)

    ReplyDelete