Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Assignment #4 - Steven Dawson, From Sunrise

So. . . I made a napkin holder for my project, but because Prof. Callahan mentioned it was a little out of the box, I decided to include a still "meme" style design inspired by the napkin holder. 

My design principles are simple, I intentionally had the two silhouettes leaning asymmetrically toward one side to give the appearance of motion and I took advantage of my three-dementional medium and painted the birds on the opposite side of the holder, showing them to be off in the distance. My color scheme holds warm loving colors and a single earthy green.

My greatest goal with the napkin holder was to make it sentimental, so the font is handwritten, and the silhouettes are hand painted. The idea is that it is impossible to tell from a still photo if the sun is rising or setting, (a quote from Benjamin Franklin), so one side of the napkin holder is a sunrise with two silhouettes holding hands and moving, then on the other side of the napkin holder is the same image, only with the words implying it's a sunset. 

One other subtle thing is the heart formed by the two silhouettes hands, I did not write the word "love" anywhere on the napkin holder, but by forming the heart with the silhouette, the message is still there, and I think, more powerful for its placing.

Commented on Blake Dorton, Brooke Adams, Dave Rowe, Spencer Evans, Bryan Pearson


1 comment:

  1. way to go out on a limb and just go for your napkin holder. it turned out great! awesome job.

    ReplyDelete