Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Assignment 1 - M'Leah Ricker - Strong

The concept I chose to display was “strong.” Strong is a concept that is often associated with great physical strength, athletic ability, or being tough. In deciding how to portray something or somebody strong, however, I came upon a few slightly different definitions.
      
        Strong: to able to withstand great force or pressure, not easily affected by hardship
        Strong: showing determination, self-control, and good judgment
        Strong: firmly held or established

These definitions stuck out to me. “Strong” suddenly became a character trait, and a certain person came to mind. My mom. My mom is, in essence, a living, vibrant example of the word “strong.” Though she may not be physically “strong,” she carries with her a presence that radiates strength. She stands as an example to those around her. Though the storms of life have beaten her down time and time again, she doesn't bow or break. She stands firm and tall. She is immovable in her character and unshakable in her faith. She wakes up every day with a determination to smile and keep moving forward. She really is the strongest person I know.

So even though this picture isn't of a weight lifter at the gym or a toned runner on a track, it portrays, in my eyes, strength. I chose to edit the photo to be simple, in black and white; this allows the viewer to more clearly focus on the lines in her face, the freckles on her neck, and the depth of her eyes. It is the simplicity of the photo that allows us to see those traits – those scars – of the trials she’s gone through. The scars that have made and continue to make her strong. 

4 comments:

  1. I think your photography is totally cool. The way that you edited the photo gives it so much more emotion and really makes something simple, like a portrait, come to life. I think this photo is very cool and the emotions that you descried can definitely be felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the image conveyed the idea well. I like it that it's subtle focuses on inner strength rather than physical power.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your use of the rule of thirds here, I also like that you chose to use black and white for this portrait. I can tell your subject was comfortable based on her natural expression. Your use of black and white helps to make the image stronger, otherwise it might not appear as that strong so good use of design technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine the word "strong" in the white space

    ReplyDelete