Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Assignment #2 - Alex Skinner - Rocknrolla

Rock N' Roll is a the freedom of expression. I decided instead of using a certain font that I should use freehand. However freehand can be lame without a purpose. What I noticed with this image is the their were specks of lights that already formed the R's the C and the two L's. I used the smudge tool to emphasize the subliminal message that was hiding in the lights. The phrase is also a perfect mirror of the body's motion. The text move from top to bottom right to left, and the body moves from top to bottom left to right creating an X. Rock N' roll also tells the story. The actor rocked and it appears that he is falling into a roll. The body and R in roll are like crashing waves, the body about to absorb the roll. Since Rock N Roll is "anti-establishment" at times, I felt it was necessary to have an "anti-establishment" font... which was emphasized freehand.

Commented on: Courtney Johansson, Colin Gingrich, Jordan Wheeler, Clarissa Oliphant, Taylor Ricks.

3 comments:

  1. This is an awesome picture. I really like the freehand with the message. I like how much thought you put into the symbolism as well. The way the letters fade adds to the symbolism as well and I think if the text was darker it would be too harsh. against the background. I like that the subject sticks out so well and then you see the text and the background isn't too distracting. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture is fantastic, with the captured expression and the high contrast. I like the idea of the freehand lettering. Given the subject matter I would have expected a very loud font, but the typography was surprisingly subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this one was totally cool. The photo alone conveyed a lot of emotion. The typography was placed well. The whole thing just made me want to go to a hardcore show and slamdance and stuff.
    Really nice execution.

    ReplyDelete